Agriculture and Forest Technology
1. Conventional methods for forest trees and agricultural crops. Crop improvement : Pedegree breeding, Heterosis breeding, Mutation breeding,
2. Tissue culture in crop improvement Micropropagation ; for virus-free plants. Somaclonal variation, Somatic hybridization, haploids in plant breeding.
3. Genetic engineering for increasing crop productivity by manipulation of photosynthesis, Nitrogen fixation, Nutrient uptake efficiency
4. Genetic engineering for biotic stress tolerance. Insects, fungi, bacteria, viruses, weeds.
5. Genetic engineering for biotic stress Drought, flooding, salt and tempereture.
6. Genetic engineering for quality improvement. Protein, lipids, carbohydrates, vitamins & mineral nutrients
7. Plants as bioreactor
8. Molecular breeding, Constructing molecular maps. Molecular tagging of genetictraits. Marker- assisted selection of qualitative and quantittave traits. Physical maps of chromosome .the concept of gene synteny the concept of map- based cloning and their use in transgenics