Description:-It is a syndrome condition which is characterized by decrease tissue perfusion &impaired cellular perfusion..
This results in imbalance in supply &demand of oxygen supply.
When a cell experiences a state of hypo perfusion, the demand for oxygen & nutrient exceeds the supply
Classification:-for the purpose of discussion, shock can be classified:-
1. Hypovolemic shock
2. Cardiogenic shock
3. Septic shock
4. Anaphylactic shock
5. Neurogenic shock
• Hypovolemic shock:-it is hypo perfusion condition of tissues due to decrease amount of body fluid from normal level
Many causes affect the volume of body fluid-hemorrhage, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive dieresis, burns..
• Cardiogenic shock:-cardiogenic shock caused by the dysfunctioning of the cardiac muscles which cause altered contraction of cardiac muscles.
Ultimately results decrease pumping capacity of heart…
• Neuregenic shock:-it is a haemodynamic phenomenon that can occurs within 30 minutes of a spinal cord injury at the 5th thoracic vertebra or above &last up to 6th weeks..
• Anaphylactic shock:-it is acute &life threatening condition in which hypersensitivity reaction to a sensitizing substances like drugs, vaccines, chemicals etc.
• Septic shock:-it is a systemic inflammatory response to a documented or suspected infection..
Pathophysiology:-hypovolemia due to any cause-decrease circulatory volume-decrease venous return-decrease stroke volume-decrease cardiac output-decrease cellular oxygen supply-decrease tissue perfusion…
Sign & symptoms:-
i. Decrease urine output
ii. Increase temperature
v. Pallor skin
vi. Cool & calmy skin
vii. Decrease bowel sounds
x. Alteration in mental status
xi. Swelling of lips
xii. Shortness of breath
xiv. Decrease cerebral perfusion
xvi. Edema of larynx
• History taking
• Physical examination
• Chest x-ray
• Continues pulse oxymetry
• Laboratory tests.
Fluid therapy:-except for cardiogenic & neurogenic shock,all other classification of shock involve decrease circulating blood volume so for recovery fluid therapy is required.